Thursday, October 22, 2009

Ta Da--A Treadle



Thanks to the Craigslist generosity of David, of North Street, Asheville, and the carpentry skills of my husband, Eric, I can treadle!

But, um, I need a lot more practice to get good at it.

This, as much as anything, I love about the project: it was free save for the three cans of spray paint required to coat the rusty base. We were able to repurpose the center section of a now-unused drop leaf kitchen table for the top. All tools were on hand, even the fancy-schmancy Forstner bits necessary to cut the round holes for the hinges. By the way, Necchi-lovers, the White hinges matching the treadle base fit perfectly into my BU, with no alteration (such as is needed with Singer hinges).

Thank you, Eric and David.

2 comments:

  1. I searched and search to find your page. I found it months ago. I love the look of you unconventional treadle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha! I didn't know that the White hinges fit Necchi's. That's a great tip! I bought a N. BU for $10 in its case. It needs only a cord and a manual. I have toyed with making it a treadle b/c I've heard they are very quiet, but I don't know if I can bear parting with the 1.0 amp motor. She is a BEAST though and belongs in a table - she's not very portable is she? Your table is beautiful! ~Page

    ReplyDelete