Wednesday, May 21, 2014

The Other MMM: Me-Made-Mittwoch

I started reading German sewing blogs in an effort to keep my dormant language skills (I was an exchange student to Germany in 1986-1987) from totally evaporating. Did you know that the German makers have a great spin on the MMM tradition? 

Me-Made-Mittwoch, like Me-Made-May, is all about how folks wear their self-made garments in daily life, except that it happens every week on Wednesday (or, Mittwoch!) rather than sequential days in May. It's a great way to see how sewers are wearing their creations in different seasons throughout the year! 

Here are some of my favorites from this week's outfits:


Frau H. aus E.: This dress from the Ottobre magazine is the essence of summer (and what a great fit).

Die Kakaohummel: Wow, this is a gorgeous dress.

Garderobenschau: Just discovered this blog this morning and I'm looking forward to exploring it. 
Ommella: Such a great piece of fabric!

Stoff und Ton, New Look 6096

La Magliera's Burda Top

' t naaikamertje: Love the laundry room setting! This blog has a Dutch URL but is written in German?

Anmasi's Welt: I just love her style and the wonderful dresses she creates.

Of course with Google Translate, we don't need language skills to enjoy sewing blogs from all over the world. I use it when I get stuck on a phrase (though of course Google Translate has almost as much trouble with some colloquialisms as I do). I love stepping slightly outside of the perspective of American culture and taste to see how dressmakers in other countries are thinking about and using their craft in everyday life!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks very much for this. Just found some new blogs - great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! The sewing community is international, and you are right, there is no need to be put off by other languages (although I am almost as mystified by some of Google's translations as I would be trying to fathom a blog post out by myself!)
    I adore the first frock, the bright floral skirt, and the final dress. My kids have a week off school, next week, which will be time for me to fire up the sewing machine again, I'm raring to go! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That is so much fun. Thank you for introducing us to some awesome blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool! In fact, I just added a translate page option to my English-language blog. I would love to know if anyone is actually using it though as I really appreciate it when that option is offered on other language blogs. I now follow a few French ones because of this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your link to my blog!
    I am very moved!

    Greetings from Cologne in Germany,
    Simone

    ReplyDelete