Today's basic blouse is my fourth version of a vintage pattern from the 1940's, DuBarry 5265. In this post from last summer, I discuss some of the features that drew me to this particular princess seamed dress, which was easily shortened to blouse length. I like the sleeves, which are not gathered but shaped by three small darts at the sleeve cap. This design adds volume like a puffed sleeve, but looks a bit more tailored and grown-up. I added a small band to the lower edge of the sleeve to finish it off.
I'm not good about either making or wearing white blouses. This one is in the Robert Kaufmann Brussels Washer fabric, a blend of linen and rayon (available in white at Fabric.com here) which has some nice qualities. Since it is heavier than a shirting weight, it is opaque even in white; that must be why I picked it for a blouse. It isn't the smoothest fabric in the world against the skin, though--I find that it feels a little rough.
My favorite aspect of this blouse is the buttons, harvested from a Liz Claiborne plaid shirt found at our Goodwill-by-the-pound outlet in Asheville. They have a pearly center set in a ring of burnished metal.
The skirt is also a recent project, but I am sadly disappointed in it. The pattern is Simplicity 2451, a design which has been made to great effect by many sewing bloggers.
I seem to have gotten the proportions all wrong--too wide and too short, and the curving front yoke just doesn't look pretty on me.
It's too bad, because the skirt has pockets, and I love the color of the silk noil fabric, a perfect caramel. Oh well, they can't all be winners, that's for certain!
The rhododendrons are in glorious bloom in Asheville!