Just looking at this picture gives me a happy feeling. The Pfaff 130 and I have embarked on what I hope will be a long and productive relationship. I say this knowing how fickle I am about sewing machines, but this one really does seem to have a great spirit. The industrial motor gives it all the power I find lacking in typical domestic machines, but at heart it is a versatile and flexible home machine.
I have notions about the butcher block table top. Its battered look has a lot of charm but, like the machine, it seems to be asking for some oil. And maybe a little sanding before the oil.
To bring the machine into service, I did a few mechanical things, and I've several yet to do. First of course was oiling. My general tendency is to start out by squirting lots of oil (specifically, I use Triflow lubricant, which has added silicone) in every apparent oil port. As I work on the machine, I add more and more. When I first started up with this sewing machine interest, I was very sparing with the oil. I had read cautions about not slopping it everywhere. It's true that there are parts (plastic ones) that don't need and probably don't benefit from coming into contact with oil. But not on this machine.
Gene Champion is a, err, well-seasoned sewing machine mechanic from Columbus, NC. He came up to troubleshoot a problem I was having with an old Singer walking foot machine last summer, and he ended up tending to most all of the machines I had at that time. He poured oil into a little cup and kind of sloshed it up into the underside of the machine (using his screwdriver as a ladle) as the machine was running full speed. That was my clue to be more liberal with the oil.
So I oiled and oiled and oiled the Pfaff and then I greased the gears in the machine pillar and behind the bobbin with Triflow grease. Disassembling and reassembling the hook nearly brought me to my knees, but I finally got it done. I oiled the spinning around areas leading into the antique industrial motor. (The motor still needs to be serviced but I am rather daunted by it).
The machine came to me making a slight zigzag when on the straight stitch setting. The service manuals found at the Old Pfaff Yahoo Group taught me how to fix that, and I surely would never have figured it out on my own.
I replaced the motor belt and bypassed the red device visible in my previous post. That was a speed reducer, it turns out. Why anyone would ever have felt the need to reduce the speed of this well-mannered industrial motor is a bit of a mystery to me. It's true I am used to industrial motors, but this one is a kitten. I can easily sew stitch by stitch with complete control. Everything works much better with just one belt controlling the motor directly.
What I am trying to convey here is that I've spent quite a bit of time on this machine, and yet there is still so much to be done! Working on old machines is time consuming and only makes sense as a labor of love. Or as a slightly unhealthy obsession.
Since the Pfaff uses M class bobbins, unlike any of my other current machines, I didn't have a spot for them in my usual bobbin holders. This magnetic tool rack had been kicking around the sewing room for a while, looking for a use. It sticks itself right to the frame of the table and holds the bobbins very securely. They are certainly right at hand!
This machine is my new love. I don't know what the future will hold for us, but the beginnings of a romance are very sweet!