Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Feathery Fun: A Vintage-Inspired Hair Trifle


Attached to a comb, made up of stray objects from around the sewing room (plus one ostrich feather straight from China via eBay), I have no idea what to call this object, but I am looking forward to wearing it when the weather turns a bit cooler. For summer I've been relying on a huge red flower or a very fake-looking daisy to add a touch of the absurd to my swing dance coiffure.

By the way, is it not amazing that a person can buy 50 ostrich feathers from China for a mere $3.50, including postage? I'm thinking of purchasing these lovelies from the same seller. The trouble is knowing when to stop.

The turkey feather is resolutely domestic, straight from the muddy woods where my son goes to camp. Apparently I am not constrained by fears of mites, germs or other contaminants.

To make this confection, I contemplated using hot glue but decided instead to wire the various bits and bobs to the comb. This seemed more secure but also makes it possible to disassemble the whole lot for other uses in the future. I have the hardest time committing even the most random scraps to an inflexible use.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, this is so lovely! Just the right touch of "something" for your dancing outfit.

    ReplyDelete