You know how I (and lots of other bloggers) am always like, this dress is nice, but if I had done this, or if the fabric were that, or next time I will change this? Yeah, I'm not going to say any of that stuff today! I am happy with this dress, without qualification.
I have some very, very similar patterns (including another New Look raglan top which could easily be lengthened), but I liked the pattern illustration and the general vibe of this dress so much, I went ahead and coughed up the extra $4 to have the best possible chance for success.
Normally I avoid the New Look patterns that start at size 10, as this tends to be too wide for me at the shoulder. This time I cut the 10 through the waist, tapered out to 14 at the hip through the hem, and did a 1" swayback adjustment. After putting the pieces together, the shoulder area was indeed too wide, and I took in the center back about 3/4" and back raglan sleeves 1" each--for a total reduction in shoulder width of a huge 2 3/4". But it was an easy change and everything else suited me fine. It would be possible to take in the side seams as much as 1" per side for a closer fit, but at the moment I feel satisfied with the roominess.
|Could definitely be more fitted, but I like the looseness for now.|
|The shoulder dart worked well for me.|
The one change I made was to the neckband. New Look included a different kind of pattern piece than the type I have seen before. Instead of a straight band seamed in the back, it was a notched pattern piece meant to be sewn together in a mitered v-shape in the front. That went together fine, but then I couldn't get it sewn onto the garment edge well. I needed two more tries to get the neckline to work out using the more common method (with a little pleat to form the vee at center front). First I used a narrower band like the pattern, just with the joining seam in the back. With the bulkiness of my double-layered fabric, though, it was just too narrow. I cut another band wider, and used a wider seam allowance. The pattern specifies 3/8" for the neckline, which would normally work great, but not in this fabric; 5/8" worked much better.
I've already made another version...in fleece! I did change the pockets in that one, since I didn't want to turn under an edge in fleece. The biggest disadvantage of the fleece version is that, once I have it on, I will not want to take it off until May. It's a slanket to end all slankets. I'll show it to you soon.