Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Something More Frivolous: Simplicity 1882 Dress

It's time for me to show you something a little less practical, a little more frivolous. This dress is so frivolous, in fact, that it's never been worn out of the house. It got all finished but not hemmed by the end of last summer--and it's been hanging in the closet ever since.


It just feels so...saucy. I ought to like that, but I'm not sure how to pair the dress with an occasion. I will wear it swing dancing soon. Even though it's very fitted through the bodice, there's lots of room for movement in the gentle a-line skirt.


Love that collar and the bow! My sleeve insertion, not so much.


Piping is a royal pain, but it's also very pretty. The cotton sateen used to make the piping and collar may have been a little beefy for that purpose. Getting those midriff seams to line up at the center back was no picnic, and the invisible zipper is quite balky at that point. The added bulk of the piping creates a drag there (though I clipped as much as humanly possible). Getting in and out of the dress requires caution! Once I'm in, it's comfortable.

This is another Amazing Fit pattern, and again I didn't hesitate to choose the "curvy" option. The bodice is size 8, C cup option, and the skirt is size 10 in a fairly stretchy woven fabric. I should have given myself a little more room in the side seams, and in fact I still could--the whole 1" side seam allowance is still all there. I just can't make myself rip out the piping! It seems easier to diet...


The skirt would be great made up on its own. The pockets are so well integrated into the overall design, and the soft pleat at the inner edge of the pockets gives a nice shape to the front of the skirt.

Do you think I should to bite the bullet and wear this dress out of the house, or wait for a "middle aged mommy vintage pinup" contest?!?

15 comments:

  1. I totally think you should go ahead and wear it. What a fun dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dress is wonderful! You should definitely wear it somewhere! It shouldn't be hidden away in the closet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this dress! I have the pattern sitting on my sewing table right now, you've inspired me to take the plunge! Wear it and enjoy, you look great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the piping and details at the pockets and neckline. I hope you get the chance to wear it out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes 100% you should wear this dress out the house . I looks lovely. I love the collar and the piping and it is very shapely as well. I have never seen this pattern before - lots of chic details.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Lady! You should wear this dress without hesitation! It's sooooo beautiful, not saucy. Love the detail of the pipes and color contrasts, so pop! I'm going to find this pattern, because it's adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good Lord yes... you should totally wear this dress out with your head held high. Its far too amazing to be loeft in the cupboard! Furthest look you could ever get from a middle aged mum! Love it... a lot! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's great and you should wear it confidently anywhere. Love the blue and black together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! The black contrast is so great. I just love those pockets, and am now contemplating whether I need this pattern for the skirt. I hear you on it being easier to diet than re-match piping at a seam!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your dress is the reason I bought this pattern. I had gone to the store and looked at it and thought it looked nicer in the pencil drawing rather in the finished look, so I passed it up. On coming home I went ahead and googled to see what others had done with it. When I saw your dress I knew I just had to have it! I've come bac to your blog now to realise that you haven't worn it out yet! You just have to wear it. It suits and flatters you so well. Just wear it out to coffee! Why not!?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh - and I think it would look awesome with a pair of heels!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just stumbled on your blog while searching for ideas for this pattern. I've made this pattern a couple times within weeks of the pattern being published. I love each one to death. Yours is soooo cute, I need to make one similar. Mine have been black with red collar and piping and black with leopard piping. I love the idea of bright blue with black piping.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just won this dress pattern and am looking around at other's who have sewn it. Your version is just beautiful!! I hope you've since worn it with pride. And, so excited to have found your blog, I am now following you on bloglovin'.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've bought this pattern and I'm just waiting to get my Christmas sewing out of the way before I make it up. I'm going for the same colour scheme as you. I think you look AMAZING in this dress - wear it out of the house, daily!

    ReplyDelete