Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Wee Green Machine



She's really not wee at all. She's a hulking chunk of nearly solid metal. And she sews with all the solidity one might expect from an almost-50-pound-supposedly-portable machine.

My SuperFriend McKenna Linn could not face lugging this sewing machine through an upcoming move (she has a couple hundred other vintage beauties to relocate). So she looked around for an adoptive home...there I was!



McKenna had found this machine in a thrift store, but hadn't done any work on it before passing it along to me. When it arrived at my house, the handwheel wouldn't turn, but everything looked very clean. Ah, the needle was striking the needle plate. The needle was inserted incorrectly and was bent almost 1/4" to the front!

Then I discovered that the hook had been broken and repaired with Superglue. Imagine.

I borrowed a hook from another machine (it is the Singer 15-class type) and we were almost in business.



The tension was and remains a bit of a challenge. It was simply spinning around and around in its socket. I managed to fix it up for a while, but it's now gotten out of whack again and the thread is jumping out of the top hook on the tension assembly. I think maybe I don't have the wire loop in the proper position.

The machine has a wonderful 1.5 amp motor. Lots of power, but even better, very smooth. It takes standard low shank feet. I quickly got tired of moving the low shank snap-on adapter between this machine and my Juki to allow those two to share my collection of snap-on feet, so I purchased a generic low shank snap on adapter from Gone Sewing, an eBay seller.

This is a left needle position machine. I have two other left needle machines, my Necchi BU and Universal Deluxe, but those are high shank. Left needle means that, when set for straight stitch, the needle is in the left half of the slot in the needle plate where the needle goes down to interact with the bobbin. The needle position is not adjustable on this machine. Presser foot pressure is fully adjustable with the common push-button, pop-up assembly. There are two nice spool pins and two thread guides (nice!). But the machine doesn't do parallel rows of stitches even with a double needle (such as you would use on a hem for knits), since it is the older needle arrangement with the eye facing to the side.

The stitches on offer are straight stitch, zigzag and blind hem. The machine takes cams, but arrived here with only one on board. The chances of finding compatible cams seem low, but who knows? They are a top hat design, in light sage green.

Consew is known as an industrial name, and I haven't yet found other examples of a Consew-branded domestic. Do you know of any?

9 comments:

  1. I've never heard of a Consew made for home use either. That is a super-cool looking machine! Good luck getting her up and running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a Kenmore sewing machine without a manual or any cams. It has the same BAM selector but I am not sure if I am using it correctly. The selector seems to be some sort of a cam regulator. Sewing straight stitch without cam "B" will produce blind hem type of stitches but "A" and "M" make identical stitches for both straight and zigzag. I wonder if "A" stands for automatic and "M" manual. Are they only useful when cams are available? My Kenmore and your Consew may take Dressmaker cams from models 965/975 but I am not 100% sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently acquired a Consew 975 and your blog is the only thing I have found online that even mentions it. Have you found more information by chance?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just found a "Sewmor" 975 that looks just like this, with a complete set of cams. Can't wait to use it, hope I can figure it out without a manual!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one!!! It was my mom's. Her name was Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one!!! It was my mom's. Her name was Virginia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I acquired a "free" Dressmaker 965 with No cams (in a cabinet).It runs great - very quiet. I have no manual. Have anyone found very to get one? And what about the BAM?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ayuda necesito arreglar la puntada queda floja del hilo de abajo

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the exact same machine but branded as "Carl's". I found a video on it which said it's basically a "White". I'm trying to figure out the correct needle system as suddenly it won't make a stich. I haven't used it in several years

    ReplyDelete