Saturday, April 19, 2014

McCalls 6503 in Liberty Lawn

There is new sewing to show you, but gray skies and rain are conspiring to prevent me from photographing a couple of recently-completed garments.

So how about a few pictures from my lovely mother's surprise 70th birthday party a few weeks ago? That day was also a grey and rainy Saturday, but a very happy occasion, nonetheless.


My mother does not look within a decade of seventy, right?

Big birthday parties have not really been a thing in my family, but my stepfather and I decided the time to change that tradition had come. My mother is the last person who would agree to have a big party to celebrate her own big birthday, so we had no choice but to make it a surprise. And do you know, it came off without a hitch and she absolutely was surprised and delighted!

We told her she'd be having lunch with my husband, my son, me and her two sisters at a local resort. In reality, there were about forty friends and family members waiting to surprise her. Although I generally despise party planning, I threw myself into this one and I was so thrilled when it was a success.


I wore one of my favorite dresses made at the end of last summer, McCall's 6503 in a beautiful art nouveau Liberty Lawn print. The fabric came from Waechter's, which I memorialized in my last post, as did the hand-dyed bias silk ribbon trim.


I did change out the sleeve on this dress for a shorter puffed sleeve from another pattern. And I added inseam pockets. But otherwise it's a faithful make of this trusty pattern. Some day I'd like to show you better photos of the dress to brag about how I centered and aligned the motifs all the way around.

This dress is wonderfully comfortable to wear and the print does suit me well, if I do say so myself! With the hat, it felt suitably festive for our happy occasion. 


13 comments:

  1. She looks so young! not 70! You 2 could pass for sisters easily. What a great idea for a special surprise party. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! Nowadays when people say I look just like her, I say a hearty "thank you"!

      Delete
  2. Your mother and you make a beautiful pair:) I am glad that you made a big deal of her special birthday. I am not much of an event planner either, but happy memories make all the work worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a tough call, whether a woman wants to make a big deal about one of those milestone numbers, but we decided to go for it. Something to remember!

      Delete
  3. Lovely color on you. What a cute dress! I'd love a closer shot of those beautifully dyed silk trim, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Micki, I'll try to oblige! Thank you for the nice compliment.

      Delete
  4. Yes, that print does suit you well ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The owner of the now-departed Waechter's helped me pick it out. Left to my own devices, I wouldn't have done as well. I wanted to avoid yet another floral, but this one was meant for me.

      Delete
  5. How sweet of you to organise a surprise party for your mum, who looks fabulous, by the way. I love the photo of you laughing - was it in relief that envy thing had turned out so well?!
    Gorgeous dress, perfect fit, beautiful colours and print, just delightful! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curtise, I think that was when she walked in the door and required literally at least 60 seconds to take in what was happening! She simply couldn't believe her eyes. Very adorable. Thank you so much!

      Delete
  6. Wow, your mother looks incredible! What a beautiful lady. Like mother, like daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a peach! I did a slideshow for the party, and she was and continues to be beautiful at every age.

      Delete
  7. Congratulations to your mom! She definitely doesn't look her age, such a pretty woman. And you too look so young and pretty in this dress and hat. Wonderful photographs!

    ReplyDelete