I may or may not have been procrastinating yesterday when I decided I "needed" a new top for the regular Tuesday evening dance.
Somehow, using scraps from other projects and a heretofore-unused pattern allowed me to justify the exercise as "frugal" rather than "distracting me from more urgent priorities."
As so often happens, the spur-of-the-moment project turned out surprisingly well (and a lot better than many more laborious recent projects have).
|McCall's 6435, which is, you know what I am going to say, out of print|
My major innovation (which is only an innovation when compared to the pattern) was to use a nude stretch lining under the front and back lace yoke pieces. I like to do this because I do not own a strapless bra, and don't intend to change that situation, yet I am old enough to dislike visible bra straps. On myself, that is--generally, I've come to terms with seeing all manner of colors and styles of bra straps peeking out from beneath other women's and girl's clothing.
Another benefit of underlining the lace yoke was that it allowed me to turn the serged neck edge to the inside and slip stitch it into place by hand. No binding or topstitching to make a harsh line around the opening.
I really like the way this shirt fits me, but I don't know whether to attribute that to the drafting, my clever choice of sizes or just the stretchiness of the black knit bodice. For what it's worth, I cut size 8 around the neck and shoulders, size 10 in the armscye and sleeves and size 12 through the hip and waist.
The bottom edge got a quick serger rolled hem, and the sleeve edges were trimmed around the lace motifs. All in all, a two-hour or so project, which earned some nice compliments at the dance.