Tuesday, June 18, 2013

McCall's 6360: Leopard Leggings


Quick and simple, but somehow critical to my survival: leopard print leggings! I got the idea from the fabulously eclectic The Secondhand Years, who put together an awesome outfit (dang, I envy her inventiveness AND her height):


The pattern, McCall's 6360, is so simple it could make you cry. Cry that you thought you needed a pattern for these, that is. But it is well designed and drafted, and I wouldn't have had the idea to add a little ruching on the side (made by stitching a piece of short elastic to the seam allowance at the lower leg) without the suggestion from McCall's.


Other than getting the size wrong (I went for the 12 and had to sew the seams larger to overcome some bagginess), the only creative contribution I made to these leggings was using a band for the hem rather than turning up a hem. A little in-process trying on and fiddling made me think that a turned up hem would be inclined to flip to the wrong side if used in conjunction with the gathering at the side seam. The band stays in place very well.

The fabric is a poly-spandex blend from Fabric.com. It has the look I was after, but it remains to be seen if I'll find these too hot for summer wear.

This picture is purely for informational purposes. Rest assured I will never, ever try to wear these as pants.

I think they are kind of cute with denim too.

Although I have another legging pattern or two, I do like this one for its straightforward shape. It seems to me that leggings are something that it can pay to make yourself (especially since RTW versions in cute fabrics can cost upwards of $25). You can get nearly any color or print, fit them the way you like and whip them up in an hour or less.

15 comments:

  1. I love them with denim. What a useful quick go to pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny Mac, so true! I'm glad to have this pattern cut out and ready to go.

      Delete
  2. Very cute! I have a really neat fabric, that is a metallic print on black, and am wondering if I have the nerve to do this with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course you have the nerve, and without doubt the slim lower body, for some snazzy leggings!

      Delete
  3. Those are great, a very useful basic though of course the leopard print makes them a bit more exciting than that. I'd like to try making leggings, have noted the pattern :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have the right knit on hand, leggings are so fast and satisfying. And I would think good for maternity/post-maternity wardrobes!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE your leggings. They are very out there but look quite conservative paired with black or denim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gail. I used to find animal print just too much, but since I started wearing it I can't seem to stop. It is strangely effective as a kind of a neutral.

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness, those are adorable! Now I really want some leopard print leggings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trena, you of all people should have some leopard print leggings. How perfect they would be for biking!

      Delete
  6. Oh, Lady! This is so beautiful and fun to use ... I'm sure you will find a thousand different ways to use it ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Rosy! I'm not sure they will be used too much in the summer heat, but when it cools down I think I will really enjoy them.

      Delete
  7. I so want a pair! I'm burning with inspiration! :D

    Can you provide link to the fabric on fabric.com? Not sure if it's still available...I found a cotton blend, but not poly spandex...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi firesheep, I think this is the one I used:

      http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=ae45a5b4-72e1-46b8-9704-0d9a9d1c9bf6

      Looks like it's down to 10 yards in stock. I don't think it's as stretchy as they say, though. Search for "leopard knit" in the search field and you'll find (too many) options. Glad you're feeling inspired!!

      Delete
    2. 2 yards on their way! Thanks!!

      Delete