Saturday, June 22, 2013

More Leopard: Simplicity 1666 Lisette Peplum Top


It's no coincidence at all that this project uses a leopard print, just like the leopard leggings of a few days ago. When I was searching for leopard print knit at Fabric.com, I was entranced with this Kaufman leopard print knit, even though it seemed perhaps too substantial for the leggings I had in mind.


I popped a yard into my shopping cart (to contribute toward the free shipping, you know), and I was very pleased with what I received. Nice and cottony, with plenty of stretch. It's substantial enough that I'm tempted to get another yard for a straight skirt to wear as a two-piece dress with the top.


Because the pattern is designed for wovens, and because this knit has a lot of stretch, I had to take things in a goodly bit after basting the seams together (I removed about 5" of total circumference at the front and back princess seams).  I lowered the neckline 1 1/2" at the center front and trimmed off 1/2" all the way around to allow for the binding (since the original pattern uses a facing). Then I measured the neck seamline and cut a binding strip 80% of that length, which is a formula that generally works out pretty well for me.


I shortened the top an inch in the front for a very slightly curved hem.


The center back piece was cut on the fold rather than with a seam.

Even with pinning out the fitting changes and deepening the seamlines, this was still a quick and easy top to make. I have expected this pattern to take off among bloggers and have been surprised that it hasn't yet. Here is a wonderful version from new-to-me blogger Terri K of Sew Terri. I'm excited to have found her!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for linking my Lisette peplum top. I certainly have enjoyed wearing it this spring and summer. Would love to meet up with you and other fashion sewers here in Asheville.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a clever idea to make this pattern in a knit. I'm a little wary of making too many more peplum items because I fear the trend will be over as soon as I do (ruffles appear to have finally died). But in a knit, you just get the shape and not the trendiness. Nice top!

    ReplyDelete