Friday, June 28, 2013

Yet Another Wrap Dress: New Look 6097 Again

Apparently, someone didn't get the memo that wrap dresses and border prints have had their moment, and it has passed.


In my defense, though, this fabric was very inexpensive from FabricMart (it's a polyester ITY knit), and it has lots of good colors in it. I particularly like the touches of coral.

As to the pattern, I needed something with a straight-ish skirt to make use of the border around the bottom. So, again with the New Look 6097.


Sleeve and hem edges were left raw.


To use a bit of border for the neck binding, I had to cut on the straight grain rather than the crosswise grain. Since the straight grain has a lot less stretch, the neck binding feels a little tight and it draws in the neckline just a bit too much. I also should have trimmed 5/8" or so from the neck edges prior to adding the binding to accommodate the binding's width (since the pattern is designed for a folded-over facing). I knew that, but yet I didn't do it. Why? Not sure--maybe I was worried that it would end up showing too much bosom if I trimmed it (which makes no sense, but it's a potent fear). Even though it could be "perfecter", I do like that brighter bit of the fabric up around the face, and there's certainly no danger of showing any cleavage.

12 comments:

  1. First thing, wrap dresses will never go out of style, 40 years and still going... Second, you should always wear whatever you like. Unless that item is EXTREMELY trendy (daisy dukes, stirrup pants, flock of seagull's hair) you'll be able to get away with it. Third, extremely clever work with the border and the neckline. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I LOVE how you've used that border print. Fabulous! And, isaspacey is RIGHT. Wrap dresses are CLASSIC. And WHO SAYS border prints are out?

    I soundly reject that notion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty fabric - love the neck binding. And the style suits you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The lighter band near your face was a great idea, and looks great! I love a good wrap dress ... J

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty! And since I've not yet even made a dress with a border print, I'm voting with everyone else: within reason, let's wear what we like:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely dress! I like the way you used the print pattern in its design.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pretty dress. I really like the neck binding. I hope it isn't so tight as to be unbearable. I too think wrap dresses are a classic style. So keep wearing them with pride. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fit and colors of this dress are very flattering. I think I like this dress best of all the ones I have viewed on your blog so far. Warning, I've decided I'm too old to give a fig about what people think I should wear.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just had to say that I came across your blog while searching for feedback on this pattern. I must say that border prints and dresses like yours CERTAINLY have not had their moment. :-) This dress looks great on you

    ReplyDelete